Cassie By Month

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Making my girls into Superheros

So lately the girls are completely obsessed with Superheroes Hawkgirl and Superman in particular, so it only made sense to make them some superhero costumes.

I knew Supergirl would be easy, but Hawkgirl was another story all together.  Wings, Mask and Mace? Yeah, I spent hours on Pinterest and Google trying to find tutorials or ideas and whatnot.  Not surprisingly there isn't really much out there so I figured I would share what I did.

For Hawkgirl ~ 

For the wings I decided to go with fabric wings rather than ones from a store or wire DIY ones.  I wanted her to a) be able to move through crowds with out bumping into people or things and b) be able to wear a backpack so she can carry her own drink and snacks.  As an added bonus they also look kind of like a cape so she gets the best of both worlds.  Plus the material came from my mom's stash and was free so there's that.

I followed tutorials from here and here .  Now I have virtually no experience with sewing what so ever, I think I sewed a pillow in seventh grade but that's about it.  The cutting of the feathers was the most difficult and time consuming, but the sewing part turned out to be pretty easy.  These are most definitely not without design *elements* but I am pretty happy with how they came out, and C absolutely loves them.




In the end I went with a snap strap around the neck to keep them up which I think it will be alright for everyday play, but for walking around all day I am going to add snaps to her shirt to keep them up in the back instead so that they will be more comfortable for her.

For her mask I decided to use craft foam and sunglasses.  I found this tutorial on making masks with sunglasses and knew that would work perfect so I didn't have to fuss with elastic or ribbon and it would be more comfortable for her.  

To get the basic shape of the mask I printed out a Wolverine and Thor mask then did a bit of free hand and voila..Hawkgirl 






For the Mace I took a piece of Pex that we had left over from our basement redo cut it down to size put a Styrofoam ball on top and spray painted it silver, then took smaller Styrofoam balls and covered them in glitter and attached them with glue and tooth picks.  Then I wrapped the handle with some leather strips.  

 
Last but not least I made her skirt...I just cut a yard of fabric that was the length I wanted (I used a skirt that we already had as a guide) giving me a long rectangle, then I just sewed a waist line, put in some elastic and sewed up the back, it's not the best but it works!!  And she loves it so that's really what matters.

Supergirl was sooooo much easier.

I made a skirt in the same way I made Hawkgirl's, but I bought the shirt.  The shirt happened to be on clearance at Old Navy and was the last one in A's size so I couldn't really resist.  

The cape was the only thing left to do, I decided to make it a snap on at the shoulders since I knew that I would want to wash the shirt and there is a very good possibility that A wont tolerate wearing it all day even if it isn't around her neck.

So I took the material and laid the shirt down ontop and traced an outline, I decided to make the cape just a bit longer than the shirt and only slightly wider, cut it out put in the snaps and all done...easy peasy...




As soon as I was done, the girls just had to try them on and (luckily) they love them :)  they aren't technically perfect in any way shape or form but the girls are happy and that's all that matters.  





No sooner had C taken off her Hawkgirl outfit than she asked me if she could be Rainbow Dash...SMH...though I suppose she could do with another sweatshirt, we will see what we can do once I get done with Hubby's Green Arrow and my own Black Canary.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hey! I love your hawkgirl mask - I am going to try to make one for my daughter - did you use glitter craft foam? where did you find it? I was looking for your email address but don't see it anywhere on here. I would love to hear back from you! heather (at) terrellfamilyfun.com