Cassie By Month

Monday, May 20, 2013

Gallery Trip


Last semester at school was my last semester for a while, at least until the girlies are in school full time.  The photography class I took was probably one of the hardest things I've done in a while, it seriously shook me, but I *think* I came out at the end better for it.  

One of the harder things I had to do for the class was pick out a photo to print, mat and submit to a jurried Art Show.  Hind sight being what it is, I wish I had tried to submit a couple more, but being that we were learning this whole matting process last minute the stress turned out to be a bit much.  

Anyway...my one submission actually made it in!  I ended up going with a pic of C just because it was a pic I liked, and one that I hadn't really used for class.  It was one I felt confident in.

So opening night I got all dressed up and a friend of mine and I went to the gallery to see it up on the walls. 

                                 

Some of the other art that was up on those walls was just amazing.  It was a department wide show so there was everything from digital media to paintings and drawings up and then upstairs there was an amazing exhibit done by the independent study students.  I knew right away that I needed to bring the girls to just see the beautiful colors and amazing textures.  So a week later we made the time to bring them down.


C was amazing, I truly am blown away sometimes about how big a girl she is becoming.  I told her she could look at all she wanted to but that she could not touch, and so she stepped back and just looked.  She definitely honed in on two favorites, one was a digital print of two people sitting at a dinner table (which she is looking at below). 


And the other was one of the independent study pieces (seen below)  It's rather interesting because this piece wasn't one of my favorites, I think the colors and largeness of the piece are what drew her to it :) 


A on the other hand is a 2 year old, and as 2 year olds will do all she wanted was to run and climb the stairs rather than look at the art and that is a.okay with me. 



Bottom line is this Gallery has (I think) about 4 shows a year, it is free to go and see and usually there aren't that many people in there, so it's a great way to expose the girls to some truly  amazing art and we will definitely be taking them there again in the future!!

No comments: