Cassie By Month

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

PAX East 2013 - Part 1

So yeah, this is a pretty pic heavy post and in the pics didn't upload in order so I'll just leave them be at the bottom...
 
We may have had a good time at PAX last year, but this year was amazing.  Last year we were a bit overwhelmed by everything there was to see and do, it was Easter weekend, and it was our first time being away from the girls over night.  This year was totally different.  We had passes for both Saturday and Sunday, we arrived in Boston on Friday and just let ourselves relax.  We walked around for a bit, got some dinner then went back to the hotel and watched a movie (Wreck it Ralph and it was great!)  Saturday we got an early start and through a series of fortunate events (in the guise of security officers making their job more efficient by making use of each and every door that could be opened) we ended up in the very front of the line. 
 
When "doors" opened we made it straight for the Blizzard both to test out their new game Hearthstone.  Which happened to be pretty awesome, I love the fact it is going to be available as an iOS app because, well, I can play those :).  The colors and graphics on it are amazing and the learning curve seems pretty low so I think we will definitely be getting this one once it comes out. 
 
The rest of the day we pretty much did the line waiting thing, we checked out the popular titles that seemed like they would be fun to play...and you know what?  I don't really remember any of those titles lol. 
 
I do remember we stood inline for an hour plus to watch the 6 minute video for the new Assassins Creed and well?  I *really* was not that impressed.  Pirates are cool, but that's about it... I realize that I have never played this game in any of it's previous variations before, but if it's the fourth generation of the game I really thought the graphics would have been much better.  But anyway, we got to sit down for 6 minutes and a free set of blow up swords for the girls to play with so yay for swag :). 
 
Last year we were home by 5, crazy how different this year was.  We had teamed up with my cousin about half way through the day.  After the Assassins Creed wait we decided to head out to find some food because wholly jeeze the prices at the convention center were outrageous, but anyway we had some awesome burgers and fries and then, wait for it, went back.   
 
When we went back it was like a whole nother world after dark lol.  We checked out the "vintage" game room (I'm sure there is a better name for it, but I have no idea what that is so that's what I'm calling it.) They had all the classic game consoles going in there, it was great :)
 
After that we headed down to the tabletop area, I had no idea this place even existed last year and it was *A-may-zing*.  I mean it, I think the Table Top play was my favorite part of the weekend.  Since the Expo hall was closed by this point everyone pretty much migrated over and grabbed a game and a table and started playing.  There were venders there selling their games, but there was also this PAX library that had all sorts of games you could borrow and try before you actually bought anything.
 
Games we tried were ~ "We didn't play test this at all" (probably the most completely random game I have ever seen) and "Ticket To Ride (Loved it!)
 
And that was pretty much it for the night...Day 2 post still to come! 
 

This Woman *made* her dress out of Magic the Gathering Cards, it was just amazing.



 




 


Table Top Gaming area, was completely mobbed all weekend...

 


 
 

2 comments:

JayZ said...

You took some great pictures of PAX! You should frame them and put them in a gaming area in your house ;)

Team M.A.C.K. said...

Thanks! And I think I will :) going to try and mount them to some canvas...