Cassie By Month

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Craft room inspirations...

Okay so as you can see from yesterday's wordless Wednesday post, we are finishing up our basement. We are going to split it down the middle, cut a hole in the foundation wall for a door and do one half for my Mom for an apartment and the other half we are going to use for a family room and craft room.

We were planning on splitting the remaining space in half and using half as a craft room and half as the family room, but I am more a fan of open concept spaces and I think that would leave just too little space for our family area (our half is going to include the laundry area, furnace, water purifier tanks and the bathroom which will be shared by Mom). However just making the entire space open wasn't an option either, because lets face it, I do alot of crafting and I work best creatively in organized chaos...so I still need to be able to shut a door and close out the "mess" :)

Enter my one of my favorite blogs...The DIY Showoff who posted this picture a couple of days ago...


and our problems are solved...a craft closet! why in the world did I not think of this? I had a craft closet when we were living in Clifton Park and it was the absolute perfect area for me. And if we plan the space out properly we can do one for both myself and my mom. We can gear mine toward my jewelry making and photography and we can gear hers toward her quilting. Ingenious I say.

So after I saw this post over at the DIY Showoff I went off on a Google images search for some more inspirations...thought I would post them all here so I had them organized and together to go back on when we get to the decor stage (which Matt has already told me is all mine...he will put up the walls and the doors everything else is up to me :) )

This one happens to be my favorite I love the idea of the french style doors rather than the bifold doors so that you can use them as more storage space that is completely hidden away when you close them!


Peg board is going to be a definite organizational must...whether I put it on the wall or the door though I am not sure...right now I am leaning more toward the door...


Must remember to look for mason or jelly jars when going garage sale shopping this spring too bad I threw away all the baby food jars I was stashing away when we moved...

Love love love the shelving AND the lighting...never thought to put lights on the shelves but it would be an awesome advantage!

Ribbon Rack...pretty and functional...score! plus it looks pretty easy to DIY


And since we are doing this in what will mainly be a family entertainment area I love the idea of putting a chalk board (or in lieu of a chalk board one of the fun mirror type magnetic boards posted below) up on the doors so that Cassie and Ali can go creatively crazy and color on the boards and or post their own art work up :)


So now really can't wait to get started on this whole project! I have never been much of a sumer person and I love winter, but I have never ever been more anxious for spring to come so the ground will thaw and we can get all this work on the road! Unfortunately we have to wait till the ground thaws out so we can cut the hole for Mom's entrance so we can really get going on things, but until then we can get the framing done and the plumbing/electric done. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!



2 comments:

JayZ said...

LOVE the idea of a craft closet! I really like that first blue one with the wallpaper on the back and using the doors for more storage in genius! Love the jars with the lights above it...then you can see everything in there. Can't wait to see how your craft closet turns out!

brooke.danielle said...

Color-wise/theme-wise, the second pic is my fave! Totally love the mason jars, very cute and organized! Cannot wait to see the process unfold =]