Cassie By Month

Monday, January 31, 2011

Menu Planning Monday...

Okay...I usually try to grocery shop for two weeks at a time and when it was just Me and Matthew that worked out great for us...since the Little Miss came along AND started eating big people food it hasn't been working out so well. Usually I end up spending double our budget since I go back for fresh fruits and some how end up buying a whole nother cart full of general stuff that we *need* and somehow we still end up running out of meals to eat...so I am going to try to split our budget and grocery shop one week at a time and see how far that takes us.

I also always end up thinking I have enough meat and veggies for everything in my head, but most of the time some of the meat goes bad or I make something completely random so we run out of ingredients so I am going to try and stick to a menu plan and get only enough meat for what we need, not buy in bulk because it seems cheaper. Wasted meat is not cheap meat!

So for the next week we should be having...

Tuesday: Chocolate Parsnip Chili (hey I saw the recipe in my Fit Pregnancy magazine and it looked pretty easy and very healthy so I figured I would give it a try :) I will let you know how it turns out...)
Wednesday: Crock Pot Sweet Potato Chicken Enchilada
Thursday: Cheesy Ham/Broccoli/Potato Bake
Friday: Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup (hey it's Friday time to relax!)
Saturday: Breakfast for Dinner - French Toast, Eggs, Hash
Sunday: Sheppard's Pie (excellent left overs for Monday lunch!)
Monday: Chicken with Apples and Stuffing

So....What's on your menu???

9 comments:

JayZ said...

I wish I planned my meals. I usually just go to Trader Joe's and see what looks good and easy, lol. But I need to get better about planning and sticking to a grocery budget! I do know that I'm going to try making chicken soup this week (a recipe I got from Cooking with Trader Joes on Facebook!) but that's about all I know! Last week, I was really good about making meals but this week is starting off with John picking up Panera for dinner :-)

amanda said...

I'm in a food funk. I only came up with Chicken Pot Pie & Homemade Pizza. I actually just had Shephard's Pie for the first time & it was so delicious, I want to make it this week too.

Team M.A.C.K. said...

LOL your better than me Janelle, I started out the week with Salads ...from McDonalds...

Amanda, Shephard's pie is Matt's absolute favorite thing to have for dinner, I love it cause it reheats well and makes for good lunches...other than that though I had to search my favorite recipe blogs for some inspiration on what to have. For some unknown reason (lol) lately I just don't have the energy to shop or cook (or eat) hoping throwing in some healthy meals will change that around...

JayZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JayZ said...

Ok, you inspired me. I'm going to plan a menu tonight BEFORE I go grocery shopping tomorrow! But Friday will for sure be In N Out :-)

John loves Shephard's Pie but I'm not a fan of my food mixing, lol. Maybe I should make it just for him. Do you have a good recipe?

Team M.A.C.K. said...

LOL what I make can barely be called Shephard's pie :) It is just ground beef browned up and seasoned with garlic salt layered into a pan followed by a layer of corn (or carrots if that is all we have) followed by a layer of garlic mashed potatoes thrown into the oven until it warms up the corn...all very easy...and I am so not a fan of my foods mixing either but this I can deal with.

And I am sure if we had an In n Out by us or anything of a similar nature that would work its way into our weekly menu as well :)

JayZ said...

That sounds easy enough. I can probably deal with those foods mixing :-) But definitley corn and not carrots...ew to cooked carrots! John agrees with me on that. And I can make it with ground turkey.

MTDV said...

okay...i can*t hold back any longer....can I marry you too???

Team M.A.C.K. said...

LOL Mim they say when you marry a man you marry his entire family so sure why not :)