Cassie By Month

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Geocaching Adventures

We FINALLY got out to go Geocaching today!! First time since October 09 :) (not counting the Picnic...). We went in search of the 2 that were closest to our house ~ the first was literally right down the road, we pass it every single time we leave the house ~ then we found those in such a timely manner that we decided to try for one more. The last one was a bit hard since it was the farthest away from the parking lot and there is still quite a bit of snow out there, but we managed to find all three out of three.

And bonus? The first one we found was a mystery cache where you had to solve a puzzle to get the coordinates. This puzzle was one where you had a picture of a constellation and had to guess the correct name to get the right number. Totally got to put our new Astronomy knowledge to use here :). (Did I mention on here that Matt and I are doing a continuing education class on Astronomy? Well we are and I am going to do a write up on the class after next weeks class...)

Anyway we had a good time today, it was nice to finally have a nice enough morning to get out of the house and get some fresh air as a family! Plus it was great to finally be able to log some finds!

Another cool thing about today's caching outing...we used the c:Geo application on our Droid phones to find all the caches. No making sure we had the batteries for the GPS or putting in the coordinates, we could hit the Find Nearest button, click the cache we wanted and it would direct us where to go from there...plus we could log the find right from the field, pretty cool in my book...

Here is Cassie and Daddy on their way to look for the first cache of the day

Found it!


At our second find of the day...the wind was really whipping at this one and the little Miss wasn't all that pleased with me since I wouldn't let her put the cache in her mouth...


Then here is Daddy at our final find for the day. You can't really tell from the picture, but he is about knee deep in snow back there....Cassie and I waited for him on firmer ground...


1 comment:

Charlotte said...

im so jealous! I have been dying to go geocaching. I swear I think about it everyday. Shane and I got a etrex venture for christmas and damnit we wanna test it out. (weve been using automotive gps')
im hoping within a week or two the snow will be pretty much gone and we can find some new ones (plus I have my sights set to place one of my own!!)