Cassie By Month

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Recipe Review...French Lasagna


Okay, I got today's recipe over at Full Bellies, Happy Kids which happens to be another cooking blog which I am completely enamored with :)

This recipe was called French Lasagna :) (original recipe found here) and while I did tweek it a little it came out pretty good. Not great, but good and I think with a little more tweeking it could be made great for us :).

1 pound hamburg
1/2 pound sausage
1 small can tomato paste
1 tablespoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
2 cans crescent rolls (I use the recipe type, with no perforations)
1 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
4 slices mozzarella cheese

Brown meat and drain fat. Add tomato paste, parsley, oregano, onion, salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce. Simmer 10 minutes. Place crescent rolls on cookie sheet, long side together. Pinch edges together. Spread 1/2 of the meat mix down the middle of the crescent rolls. Mix cottage cheese and parmesan cheese. Spoon over meat. Spread remaining meat mixture over cheeses. Place slices of mozzarella over top of meat.

To change the recipe I added a splash of spaghetti sauce since it seemed a bit dry and about 1/4 cup of spinach to the cheese mixture (gotta try and add those veggies in there when ever possible!)... and I accidentally bought Ricotta Cheese instead of cottage cheese (never heard of cottage cheese in lasagna so I thought I had made a typo when I made up my list). I also ended up using 3 tubes of Crescent rolls since I couldn't find the kind she said she used so I had to improvise a bit. The result was still the same.

Next time I make this (and yes there will be a next time) I will probably only use ground beef. We aren't really big sausage eaters here and I think it took away from the Lasagna-y taste.

Okay, that's about it for tonight, I am off now to go try making some stuffed chocolate chip cookies :)

No comments: