Cassie By Month

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Recipe Review...Pineapple Pork Chops

I have been trying to challenge myself to become better at cooking, trying to make dinner healthier and more interesting by adding one dish that I have never tried making before each week to our menu. Bonus points if it involves a meat that I have a rough time cooking and therefore always avoid, extra bonus points if it has vegetable or fruits that I have never tried before!

I technically have two recipes waiting to be reviewed, but I can't find the magazine with the recipe for the Chocolate Parsnip Chili in it so that one will have to wait :)

Anyway...on to the Pineapple Pork Chops...I picked this recipe (found on moneywisemoms.com) mainly because I have a truly difficult time cooking pork chops and the pineapple sounded delicious and perfect for a little variety.



1 to 1.25 pounds pork loin (boneless when I can get it), sliced into chops
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp minced ginger (you can use fresh or just the powder)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 8-oz can crushed pineapple

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place pork in single layer. In a bowl, combine soy sauce with brown sugar, ginger, crushed pepper and pineapple. Pour over pork chops. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes, basting frequently.

These were so super simple to make and they came out fantastic!!! I don't know if it was the acid from the pineapple or the fact that it was a pork loin cut of meat that I cut up into the chops or a combination of both, but these came out so super tender and juicy I was really quite proud of myself. They even came out cooked all the way through the first time I took them out of the oven, which is unfortunately a first for me when it comes to pork chops.

Bottom line? These will absolutely be made again!

1 comment:

JayZ said...

I had the same problem with pork but found 2 great recipes for it. One has a lime marinade that I think helps keep it moist and another one is a breaded pork chop recipe from Martha that you broil so the pork cooks super fast and stays moist. And I've breaded the pork and then froze them. You take them straight from the freezer and pop them under the broiler and they are done in 10 minutes! I'll have to post the recipe one day.